From Channel 4 website, click here.
Ready in 25 minutes
3.9g fat (0.5g saturated)
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthways
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds, dry-toasted in a pan and crushed
- 2 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 300ml long grain rice (measured in a measuring jug – see recipe for Rice, absorption method)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the onion and gently cook until softened. Stir in the spices and herbs and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and stir until coated. Add 600ml boiling water and bring to the boil. Cover, then simmer on the lowest setting for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Let the steam dry off, then fluff up with a fork.