Newton-in-Bowland, formerly Newton-on-Hodder, is a small village in the Forest of Bowland, about 9 miles north of Clitheroe. The area covers about 6000 acres of Bowland and the 2001 census recorded a population of 237.

Recorded in the Domesday Book as ‘Neutone’, possibly meaning King’s Town, the village was formerly part of West Riding. There was a drop in the village’s population after the Black Death 1350.

Today, the village has a pub called The Parker’s Arms, named after the Parker family, who live…