Dolphinholme is situated on the edge of the Forest of Bowland, less than five miles away from Lancaster. Lower Dolphinholme is situated on the River Wyre.
Dolphinholme was one of the first villages in the UK to have gas lighting and the village street was lit possibly as early as 1806. One of the old surviving street lamps was restored in 1984.
In 1795 Lower Dolphinholme homed a mill founded by slave trader Thomas Hinde. The mill used the fast flow of the River Wyre, and was 68 foot in diameter and 12 foot broad. Unfortunately the mill no longer exists, but the chimney is still standing.
The factory provided employment for several hundred spinners and outworkers for whom houses were built. The mill closed in 1867 but the houses are still occupied.
During, and after, the two world wars more houses were built, expanding the village. A number of the farms old buildings have also now been converted for residential use.
There is a strong community spirit which shows in recent efforts to build an extension to the New Memorial Hall to help accommodate the many village activities. The Village Show has recently been revived and the Annual Field Day is always enthusiastically supported.
View Larger Map