Chatburn is located in the Ribble Valley in a hollow between two ridges sloping west and north. The village is situated just below Pendle Hill and just off the A59 Clitheroe to Skipton road and covers 896 acres.
Once a thriving mill village, Chatburn is now a quiet remote residential village with the nearest train station in Clitheroe and the nearest bus station in Whalley. The cotton mill has since been demolished following the demise of the cotton industry.
Chatburn was sadly bombed during the second world war on October 30th 1940. A german bomber flew over the village, so low that the residents could clearly see the pilot. Two bombs were dropped that day killing three people and causing many injuries and extensive damage to buildings. Some eyewitnesses still live in the village today.
There is a church which serves Chatburn and Warston; Christ Church, which dates back to 1838.
There are few establishments for eating out, the Black Bull Inn and The Brown Cow, which is ranked 1 of 2 on Tripadvisor with very good reviews, and is child and dog friendly. Greendale is unfortunately closed as is the Pendle Hotel which is being renovated into a business and flats.
There is Hudson’s in the village, which is a traditional ice cream shop with a secret recipe. The shop was the Old Toll House which was originally a butchers in 1913. The shop has not been altered in 60 years. The recipe uses all local natural ingredients and as there are no preservatives, so they have to hand make a new batch every day.
Chatburn Church of England Primary School was founded over 180 years ago and accommodates approximately 100 pupils. The school moved to it’s present site in 1967.
Chatburn has its own Cricket Club located off Sawley Road with views over Grindleton Fell to the north and Pendle Hill to the south. The club was formed in 1923. In 1991 the club won the C&DCL second division and was promoted to first division. Unfortunately this success was not to last long as they were relegated the very next season. They have remained in second division since.
View Larger Map