Barley is a small village in Lancashire and the township contains the hamlet of Wheatley Booth. It has a small population of approximately 270. The village is made up of farms and small businesses.
Barley earned its livelihood from agriculture starting from a small cattle farm established in approximately 1266, until the 18th century when the manufacturing of textiles began. The brooks around Barley offered an effective source of waterpower which lead to the building of several cotton factories. A small cotton mill was built at Barley Green which was destroyed in a flood in 1880.
Barley is a popular starting point for walkers of the Pendle Way long distance trail which passes through the village. Pendle Way is a recreational path which encircles the borough of Pendle and was officially opened in 1987. The circuit is 45 miles (72km) long and the route proceeds clockwise but can be started at any point
In 2011 United Utilities engineers were called in to survey the land during a construction project when they unearthed a well preserved 17th century cottage near Lower Black Moss reservoir. There has been speculation among historians that this was the home of one of the Pendle Witches sent to trial at Lancaster Castle in 1612, although there is no evidence to confirm this. The building, which was found under a grass mound, contained a sealed room with the bones of a cat bricked into the wall. It is believed that the cat would have been buried alive to protect the inhabitants of the cottage from evil spirits.
Barley is also home to the Pendle Inn which offers beverages, food and accommodation and is currently ranked number 21 of 47 restaurants in Burnley.
There are a few National Trust tourist attractions nearby such as Gawthorpe Hall which is 4 miles away. An Elizabethan House set in tranquil grounds built between 1600 and 1605 and is a Grade I listed building.
Hardcastle Crag is a beauty spot located 12 miles away and holds 400 acres of unspoilt woodland and crossed with 30 miles of footpaths. Home to a 19th century cotton mill, Gibson Mill, which was reopened in 2005 as a visitor centre.
View Larger Map