There is a popular parking spot at Stoops Bridge, which gives access to the Wyre Way and Abbeystead Reservoir, which was built around 1855 but is no longer used to supply the mills along the Wyre.
Not a lot is known about the history of Abbeystead before the Norman Conquest, other than it was occupied from around the middle of the prehistoric period.
The name Abbeystead belongs to ‘site of the Abbey’ and relates to the short-lived presence of Cistercian monks during the reign of King Henry II. The site of the monk’s house is below the junction of the Marshaw Wyre and the Tarnbrook Wyre – on the north side of Abbeystead Reservoir.
More recently there was a disaster in 1984 when a methane explosion destroyed a waterworks valve house, instantly killing eight and injuring more. After the explosion the roof collapsed and another eight people sadly lost their lives after the severe injuries sustained. There is a plaque situated in the village commemorating the lost lives.
View Larger Map
Abbeystead – Wiki